Family Investment Companies
A Family Investment Company (FIC) can provide a tax efficient investment solution for family succession planning. A FIC is a simple to manage, cost effective vehicle which allows the founder(s) to retain control over the assets whilst distributing wealth within the family in a tax efficient manner.
The benefits of a FIC include:
- Straight forward, simple to administer and non-tax contentious.
- No IHT on the growth in value as it is outside the estate of the founder.
- No immediate charge to IHT on funds loaned to the company nor on funds invested in the company, but they do remain in the founder’s estate.
- No IHT on shares gifted to other family members provided the founder survives for 7 years.
- The founder has control of the company, including investment and distribution decisions.
- Tax on retained profits at 19% allowing greater growth (reducing to 17%).
- Tax deduction for investment management fees.
- Indexation allowance to reduce capital gains for inflation.
- A tax efficient and flexible alternative to trusts – trusts generally suffer 45% income tax and 28% CGT on retained income and gains and an immediate 20% IHT charge on funds put in the trust.
The benefits of a FIC will depend on individual circumstances and we recommend that all options are considered as part of an individual’s overall strategy. We’d be delighted to help you explore your options.
Get in touch
Whether you're setting up, growing or selling your business, if you want award winning accountancy, business and tax advice call us on 01628 770 770 or complete our enquiry form: